12 January 2012

Film: 'Stop Making Sense' (1984)

The show ends. The credits roll. My Dad turns to me and says "...You know how [our friends] P. and R. have to watch 'Hair' every year? ...I gotta see this every year."

I couldn't possibly have said it better myself, but here's my 3 cents:
Watch this film. It's a wonderful portrait of a great band putting on a spectacular, rivetingly peculiar show. The cinematographic construction absolutely does justice to the frenetically bizarre performers (thanks, Jonathan Demme!), and the ever-changing backdrops are enviably clever. Plus - David Byrne, live! Possibly the weirdest guy in rock & roll, he's certainly one of the most entertaining. Do see it, you'll be missing out on such a treat if you don't.

Highlight: there are two -
1. The special guest appearance by Tom Tom Club, performing 'Genius of Love', and the iconic
2. "Anyone got a match?"




No comments:

Post a Comment