12 December 2011

Record: John Cale 'Fragments of a Rainy Season' (1992)

Full disclosure: I am physically, mentally, and emotionally incapable of writing an objectively unbiased review of Mr. Cale's work. I think the man is a genius, and, viola notwithstanding, he's one of my best-beloved and most-revered musical heroes.

On to the subject at hand, which has got to be one of the top 10 greatest live albums of all time. It's a compilation of highlights recorded during Cale's 1992 tour, showcasing a superlative performer at his very best. My one complaint is that there are only 20 tracks, which leaves me very much wanting more.
Most of the material is his own, though there are two really stupendous covers - a version of 'Heartbreak Hotel' that might just rip the heart right out of you, and perhaps the most beautiful and honest rendition of 'Hallelujah' I've heard. My personal favourite tracks are 'Child's Christmas in Wales', 'Thoughtless Kind', and the outstanding '(I Keep A) Close Watch', which really brings out the lovely bittersweet quality his voice performs so beautifully.

Also check out the 'Fragments of a Rainy Season' DVD, filmed during that tour at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels; the man is a classy, elegant performer, and that's a bit of a rarity and a real pleasure to witness:


No comments:

Post a Comment